Google+ is Google’s own social network, and though it was once projected to be a social media powerhouse, it has failed to live up to expectations. The network is part of Google’s ecosystem which includes Google My Business, GMail, and YouTube. While its low active user rate limits its usefulness to HVAC contractors, it still offers the following benefits:
- Branding: Google is still the world’s top search engine, and therefore + is a worthwhile branding platform
- Circles: Form communication channels with other HVAC businesses
- Ease Of Use: It doesn’t require much effort to maintain a profile
- Search Optimization: Your + page is another opportunity to appear on SERPs
You don’t have to actively engage on Google Plus to take advantage of it. There’s no disputing its overall disappointment as a social network, and its lack of wholesale value to heating and cooling companies. With that said, its affiliation with Google makes it salvageable as contributor to online presence, albeit minor. To learn more about Google+ marketing for HVAC contractors, call (800) 353-3409.
Who Uses Google+ in 2018?
Research breaks down the demographics of Google+ users, and it’s not particularly appealing to the average brand. With a user base comprised predominately of older males in the U.S. it is not a platform that will be pursued by the vast majority of industries. With that said, many HVAC consumers are older males, and the heating and cooling industry might be one of the few that won’t suffer from this consumer ratio. Statistics reveal the following about Google+ users:
- 55% U.S based
- 72% 35 and older
- 74% Male
The people who do use Google+ say they enjoy it. At least that’s according to surveys which found Google+ to be a more favorable experience than Facebook. While promotional efforts will have nowhere near the reach they would have on more popular social networks like Facebook and Instagram, it’s useful to know that the limited consumers you can reach, can be reached in a manner they find user-friendly.
How HVAC Companies Should Optimize Their Google+ Page
You don’t want to spend too much time optimizing your Plus page, but enough to make it look presentable. You’ll find that optimization can influence SEO, as Google is believed to prioritize their own content over others on search results. The optimization process is not unlike other social profiles or business listings. Consider the main aspects of Google+ profile optimization below:
- Custom URL: Google explains how to get a custom URL, which can be changed up to 3 times per year
- Title and Meta: Use your company name in the title and sprinkle a few keywords into your meta description
- Images: Use image optimization to upload photos to your Google+ profile, including a header image and profile photo
- Link Building: Google+ pages contain a spot for “recommended links” in which you can display specific links to your website pages along with other social media profiles
As for post-optimization activity, it doesn’t hurt to post content on your Google Plus page every now and then. You can even set up auto-posts of your blog content which can create more indexing opportunities on search engine results pages. HVAC Webmasters offers basic social media management as part of our MTM and PPL plans. For more advanced social media marketing, especially on Facebook, you’ll have to invest in our add on services. To learn more about Google+ marketing, call us at (800) 353-3409.